McDowell House at Quaker Meadows
|Categories||History Museums / Heritage Sites Outdoor Attractions|
|Address||119 St Marys Church Rd,
Morganton, NC 28655
The McDowell House at Quaker Meadows Plantation, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is believed to be the oldest surviving brick structure in Burke County. Built in 1812 by Captain Charles McDowell, Jr., this restored home of classic federal style architecture portrays life in the 19th century. On September 30, 1780, General Charles McDowell, Major Joseph McDowell , and other Overmountain Men held a rendezvous under the Council Oak at Quaker Meadows prior to marching to the Battle of Kings Mountain.